With the support of our community and people like you, Wanuskewin Heritage Park is on the road to earn UNESCO World Heritage Site designation.
What is UNESCO World Heritage?
The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) identifies, protects, and preserves cultural and natural heritage worldwide deemed to be of outstanding value to humanity.
The Road to UNESCO
- 2017: Parks Canada adds Wanuskewin to Canada’s UNESCO Tentative LIst
- 2018 – 2020: Wanuskewin completes the Thundering Ahead capital renewal project
- 2021 – 2023: Wanuskewin compiles UNESCO World Heritage nomination dossier and creates a Stewardship Circle of engaged stakeholders
- 2023: Wanuskewin submits final UNESCO World Heritage nomination dossier to Parks Canada
- 2024: Parks Canada approves Wanuskewin’s dossier and brings to Paris for UNESCO World Heritage Committee review
- 2025: UNESCO World Heritage Committee selects Wanuskewin for World Heritage Site inscription
What are the benefits of UNESCO World Heritage designation?
Earning this status not only benefits the park, but our community, too.
- Global awareness and recognition
- Increased tourism and economic activity
- Increased interest in preservation and conservation
- Community engagement and civic pride
- Reconciliation and education opportunities on a larger scale
- Demonstrates investment in social responsibility and cultural heritage
- Access to UNESCO networks and partnerships
How will we make this happen?
Wanuskewin is perhaps best known for our dedication to the history of the land and the people who lived and thrived here for more than 6,000 years. As the home of the longest continuously running archaeological program in Canadian history, we have become a premier national destination for cultural education and heritage.
With your support, we can work towards our long-term vision of an international centre of excellence in education, science, and culture.
It’s time to share Wanuskewin with the world.
Donations fund day-to-day operations, creating year-round opportunities to educate and share our stories with people of all ages and backgrounds.