9:30am - 4:00pm
Wanuskewin's Annual National Indigenous Peoples Day Celebrations is back for 2023!
Wanuskewin will be offering expressions of culture through dance, music, visual art, as well as history and science in a one day celebration that is offered admission by donation.
Visit our many stations throughout the park for guided and self-guided tours happening throughout the day. Meet us at this traditional gathering place, home to all Nations of the Northern Prairies over the last 6400 years.
Thank you to Nutrien for their generous support of this event.
and to Sask Writers Guild for connecting us all with the Keynote Speaker of the day.
Join us Wednesday, June 21, 2023 for a day full of activities for the entire family!
- mihko-piyēsiw Lab – REALLY REALLY REALLY ANTIQUE ROAD SHOW! Archeology with Dr. Ernie Walker (bring your BONES & STONES!) (10:30-3)
- Guided walks & programming through valley
- Native Plant Information station with Sandra Walker
- Hide Tanning Activities in Tipi Village with Elissa Brown
- Parks Canada station
- Saskatoon Food Bank and Learning Center Garden Patch (10-3)
- Saskatchewan RUSH station
- Traditional Games station with Lamarr Oksasikewiyin
- Saskatoon Public Library (10-2:30)
- Dancers/Music Presentations throughout day in the Amphitheatre
- Keynote Speaker – Terry Bear-Linklater
- And MORE!
- Galleries, Exhibits, Playground, Gift Shop, Snack Shack, & RESTAURANT OPEN!
Wednesday, June 21, 2023 – AGENDA
9:30 a.m.– Site Opens
9:45 a.m. – welcome, elder opening, drum song and dance – Amphitheatre
10:00 a.m. – Stations OPEN to rotate throughout the day! (see list above)
10:05 a.m. – Dance Presentation (Jr Grass) and Drumming with Elmer Tootoosis – Amphitheatre
10:30 a.m. – Jingle Dress Dance presentation with Kalene Scott – Amphitheatre
11:00 a.m. – Hoop Dance Presentation with Lawrence Roy – Amphitheatre
12:00 p.m. – Fiddle Music Presentation with Jordan Daniels – Amphitheatre
1:00 p.m. – KEYNOTE SPEAKER – Terry Bear-Linklater – Amphitheatre
2:00 p.m. – Wanuskewin International Dance Troupe – Amphitheatre
3:00 p.m. – Fancy Dancers and Drum presentation with Darrell Paskimin – Amphitheatre
3:15 p.m. – Native Plant walk with ethnobotanist Sandra Walker (45 min – limited spaces)
4:00 p.m. – End of event day
Admission by Donation day