Indigenous Culinary – Cook
July 29, 2021
CS – Cook Job Posting (July 2021)
We are looking for motivated people who are passionate about food and service to join our Culinary Services team. The successful applicant will report to the Culinary Coordinator and the Customer Experience Manager. The Cook will work with the Culinary Services team to prepare food items, ensure food safe practices, and assist in the operation of our Restaurant, catering, and banquet bookings.
The anticipated start date of this position is August 3, 2021.
- Cooking, cleaning, serving, stocking, and the preparation of food items and provisions
- Preparing ingredients for Restaurant customers and provision meal orders: cleaning and chopping vegetables, seasoning meat, preparing bannock, baking desserts, etc.
- Recommend and create ideas and concepts for menus and special occasions that reflect Indigenous culinary arts
- Sanitize and store food and beverage items in accordance to the “First In, First Out” system
- Following food health and safety standards for handling food
- Set up, organize, and take down work stations in the Restaurant, banquet, and catering areas
- Assisting customers as needed
- Assisting other cooks and team members as necessary
- Operating the cash register and Point of Sales system to track cash and customer sales interactions
- Maintaining a safe and enjoyable guest experience
- Other duties as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Our ideal candidate is a cook who is passionate about Indigenous culinary arts and customer service. A demonstrated knowledge of Northern Plains Indigenous peoples’ culture, language, and traditions is beneficial. Previous experience working in the culinary field is required.
Required qualifications and experience:
- Must have a minimum of two years of relevant experience in a fast-paced kitchen environment; a suitable combination of education, training, and experience will be considered
- Must have a high school diploma
- Must be able to multi-task in a rapidly changing environment
- Must have valid Class 5 Driver’s License and be able to provide a driver’s abstract
- Must be able to adapt to new situations and solve problems as they come up
- Must be able to work early mornings, nights, and weekends
- Must be able to life up to 50 lbs or more
- Must have a positive attitude, willingness to learn, and a commitment to our goals and mission
- Culinary Arts Diploma
- Food Safe Certificate
- Ability to work independently and as part of our diverse team
- Attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills with people of all ages and backgrounds
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, submit your cover letter and resume with at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, describe how your experience and knowledge of the culinary arts, customer service, and Indigenous cuisine would make you an asset to our team.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sectors and have reliable transportation prior to the start date. People with Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit, or Metis) ancestry will be given preference, but as an equal opportunity employer, the best candidate will be selected for the position (HRC-E-91-09) (HRC-E-91-17).